Monday, August 10, 2009

End of Week Motivation

I read an article or blog post the other day (I read so much stuff online and tried unsuccessfully to find it) about motivation and tips to getting in your runs. The author talked about how the hardest part for most people is the beginning of the week and that it gets easier to fit in workouts as the week goes on. I noticed this past week that I feel the opposite. At the beginning of the week I go to bed early, wake up early, get in good runs/workouts, and feel great. As the week goes on I itch for the weekend and start slacking. Case in point, on Friday I slept in and didn't get up to do the 6 mile tempo run I had planned. I was asleep by 9:30pm on Thursday night but I woke up Friday and felt tired so I decided to sleep in and run after work. I even went in to work early so I could leave at 4pm and get in my run before the boyfriend got home.

4pm comes along and there is an emergency at work. I hang around til 4:15pm when they tell me I should leave but could I be on-call in case there are more issues. This means I need to be near my phone and computer. So much for running. I did find that Netflix had the harder version of the Jillian Michaels DVDs I do for Instant Viewing. So I did both of them (Front Side, Back Side) for an hour. At least it was something. The Friday before I took the day off and moved my hill workout to Saturday. This week I didn't think I should move the tempo run to Saturday because I was nervous I'd be so tired for my long run on Sunday. So Saturday I did a lot of walking and cleaning but no formal workout.

Boy was I glad that I took Saturday off! I got up early Sunday morning for my planned 9-10 miles with my running group. I haven't run with them in over a month so I was pretty excited to catch up with everyone. That was until I walked out the door and my first thought was "Ew". It was already 70 degrees with 90% humidity. It hasn't been this hot and muggy all year. I really feel for everyone living in the South. I couldn't do it.

The run sucked. It was hot and gross. It was cloudy and threatening to storm for the first half, then the clouds parted and the sun blazed down on us for the second half.

When we finally got back I looked at my watch and saw we did 9.37 miles at an average pace of 9:32 min/mile. What?!? 9:32? On a day like that? I saw that number and I was so excited. The run felt hard but I thought it was mostly because of the heat.

So that made me feel a bit better about Friday and Saturday. But still, anyone have tips for staying motivated toward the end of the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment