Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Summer is finally here...

...and I wish it would leave already. My running hasn't been so great lately. After having such a nice and mild summer here in Buffalo, we are now back to normal (or above normal) temperatures. I don't do well in heat, which is the main reason I decided not to train for a fall marathon. 

Sunday I did a long run with my running group. We did 9.5 miles at an average pace of 9:49 min/mile. It was a very hot and humid day so as much as we tried to run fast to get it over with we were too hot and tired. 

On Monday I had 5K coaching. It was equally as hot and the runners were feeling it. It was definitely a smaller group than usual but everyone that came out did a great job in the heat. I stayed in the back and wound up running a lot more than usual because they were more spread out. So I moved from one group to another to make sure everyone was doing alright. 

Tuesday I slept in. The air conditioning felt so nice :) I worked out a little when I got home but nothing crazy. 

This morning I got up right after 5am to head out for my run. I planned to do 6x800m (not 6x400m like last time). I got through 3 and knew I had been going slower than usual. I looked at the time and saw 6am. I needed to leave for work at 7am because my company was doing volunteer work with United Way today. I figured if I finished my run I would get home after 6:30 and barely have time to get ready and eat so I decided to make 4 my last interval and head home.

I thought about doing the last two intervals when I got home but after volunteering I decided I was good. We did work at a cemetery and it was a lot of hard upper body work; shoveling, raking, and some painting. We got back to work dirty and stinky. Thankfully, my boss let us go early so we could shower. 

Tomorrow I am planning an easy run and maybe finishing up those intervals. My boyfriend's good friend from Jersey is heading up to stay with us for the weekend so I need to get my workout done in the morning. 

I'll leave you with my interval paces from today:

8:50
9:04
8:57
8:41

Yea, those are more like half marathon pace. How am I ever going to finish in under 2 hours!?!

1 comment:

  1. You are doing great! It is hard to do anything in the heat. Once it cools off, you will do much better. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete