Friday, July 24, 2009

Intervals

After reading an article about Intervals in this months Runner's World I decided to try them Thursday morning. I started off with a 10 minute run and then did 2 minutes running as fast as I could and 2 minutes walking. I did this 6 times. I followed it by a 10 minute jog. 

It really wasn't that bad. I've done stuff like this before but not this exact thing. I don't do enough speed work but when I do I enjoy it. It sucks and is hard to run so fast but I just keep thinking about the 2 minutes of walking I get to do after. My fast running was between 7:30-8:30 minutes/mile. I tried to stay more consistent toward the end but it didn't work out all that well.

This run, reading other blogs, and looking at the training plan RW has for Half Marathoners looking for a PR has made me think I need a new training plan. The plan I get from my running group really doesn't have any speed work with it. They tell you to run part of your long run at HMP and do a Tempo run once a week but I don't think that's enough for me. I've been looking for a plan that will still let me run with the group on Sunday's but give me more quality workouts to do during the week. 

I think I am going to use this plan from RW but with a few tweaks. It seems to look a lot like the FIRST plan, I've seen and read good thing about from many bloggers, except that there are 4 key workouts a week instead of 3. My first tweak would be moving everything back a day so that my long run would be on Sunday and I would be off or doing a Recovery Run on Monday. My next tweak is I think I would make some of the Recovery and Aerobic Runs Cross Training instead. I still want to work on strengthening my upper body and core and I would like to get to the gym more to bike, get on the elliptical or swim. 

I still have 12 weeks until my half marathon. This training plan is only 10 weeks but I still think I am going to start it next week. I can foresee myself needed a week to work up to all the speed work that comes with this.

What do you think? Is this a good plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment