Wednesday, July 29, 2009

New Training Plan Week 1

This week I have started a new training schedule. I decided to switch to a new training plan because I felt I needed something more structured and detailed. After a lot of searching I settled on this plan from Runner's World. So far it has been going very well.

Monday was a rest day aside from 5K Coaching. They are up to 1.5 miles, 2 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking. Everyone is doing great. They really seem motivated. I hope it sticks!

On Tuesday I did 4.57 miles in 46:16. Then I did 3 x (3 x 30 meter) sprints. I couldn't get to a track so I just ran from the house to the left of my to the house to the right. It was a little over 30 meters but I figure the consistency of the distance was more important. My average time was 9.10 seconds. Not bad I guess. I got faster toward the end. 

Today I did 4 x 1 mile  and 4 x 200 meters. I was supposed to do the miles at 8:45 - 8:55 per mile pace. I was a little faster than that. My splits were 8:11, 8:26, 8:43, 8:38. I set my Garmin so that I couldn't see time or pace. I didn't so this on purpose. I used the Interval feature and I didn't realize I couldn't see the time/pace until I started. The whole time I was thinking how slow I felt I was going and that my splits would probably be over 9 mins. I was really excited when I saw I was actually faster than 8:45 every time. In the end I think it was better that I couldn't see the pace because I might have slowed down more than I needed to. 

The 200m were really 0.12 miles. My average time was 57.16 seconds. The last two were way faster than the first two. I think I hold back too much in the beginning because I'm nervous that I won't be able to finish. 

I know its only day two of the training plan but I'm really enjoying the hard, structured workouts. It makes me feel like I've accomplished more and makes the runs go by so much faster. I'm always thinking about what I have to do next. 

Tomorrow is a Recovery Run day. I think I'm going to cross train and work on weight training instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment