Saturday, September 19, 2009

Long Run Fuel

When I first started running, over a year and a half ago, I knew nothing about how to fuel during a run. I learned a lot by reading articles online and seeing what other people did. I tried gels first since it seems that's what most runners use. I hated them. The texture made them so hard to choke down. I immediately looked for other options and found Luna Moons. They were smaller than Clif Shot Bloks and one package seemed to be just enough for a Half Marathon. They worked well for me through my first year of running.

Once I started training for a marathon I thought maybe I would try to Shot Bloks. They have more calories and electrolytes in one package and would be better for the longer training runs. I like Shot Bloks much better than Luna Moons. They aren't as hard and they break up faster. I used Shot Bloks for training and during my first marathon and it went well.

However, I got tired of scarfing down 3 bloks for everyone one Gu my training partners ate. It took much longer for me to get the same amount of electrolytes. I figured maybe it was time to give the gels another chance.

I switched about a month ago and it's been going well. I have tried Gu, Clif Shot, and Hammer Gel and Gu is my favorite with Hammer Gel a close second. I really like the packaging of Clif Shots and the fact that they are mostly organic but they are much thicker than I would like.

I have tried different flavors and with/without caffine. I don't feel like I've found my favorite yet but I have found some that are easier to choke down than others.

I still cringe everytime I choke one down but it is getting easier. I would like to try them cold. I think they would taste better. Maybe in the winter.

I have to say I feel like more of the runner now that "I do the Gu".

1 comment:

  1. I agree that I think Gu is the best one (of what I've tried). The gummy types get stuck in my teeth and then are really annoying!

    ReplyDelete