Friday, September 11, 2009

Spin Time!

This morning I went to my very first Spinning Class! I have been wanting to try spinning for a while now. It's a great way to cross train and a great workout.

Last night I did a pretty fast 5 miles of hills at the Ridge with a friend. The past couple weeks there have been a few of us heading to the Ridge each week but yesterday only 2 of us could go. It was nice, we got chatting and took off. We did 5.10 miles at 9:34 pace. The past couple weeks we've done 9:50 and 9:51 pace so this was just a little bit faster. It felt great though. I love finishing fast, hard runs. It makes me feel so strong.

I went to bed early last night thinking if I wasn't too sore I'd try spinning class. The alarm went off at 5:30 and I got out of bed and felt pretty good. My hamstrings were a little tight but not too bad. I was also wide awake and figured I might as well do something if I'm up at 5:30. So off I went to the gym.

I've never been much of a biker. I had a mountain bike (and still do) when I was younger but I haven't ridden a bike outside in 7-10 years. I haven't even ridden a stationary bike since college (3 years).

The class started at 6:15 and I got there early, with plenty of time to stretch. The instructor got there and I got the bike situated, following others lead on what parts I could change. We got started and it went well! It took me a little time to get used to the positions and "dialing it up to a 7" ("There are no numbers on here!" -- Me) but it was fun! I definitely didn't work or "dial it up" as much as I could have but I wasn't sure what too expect and I didn't want to wear myself out too quickly. Now that I know what it's like I'll be prepared for the dialing next time.

So far I am feeling it a little. My crotch is definitely sore from the seat and I'm feeling muscles that don't usually get worked the same way when I run. I'm planning to do some yoga tonight and in the morning, so hopefully that will help.

Tomorrow will be a rest/yoga day to prepare for the Rochester Half Marathon on Sunday. I am running this with my friend D (we did Boilermaker together in July). This will be her first half marathon so I'm really excited for her. We have no pacing goals, just to finish. I want her to enjoy the race so hopefully I will have a running partner for future races.

No comments:

Post a Comment