Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Update

I've been really slacking on posts lately. Not a whole lot has happened in the past week and a half. After Philly I caught my friend's cold and was feeling pretty crappy. I didn't run much last week. I took off Monday and Tuesday.

On Wednesday a bunch of us ran at the Ridge. It felt like such a hard run yet when I looked at my watch afterwards I learned it had been our slowest run yet. I guess that's what happens when you try to run sick.

Thursday and Friday I took rest days. I was still feeling pretty crappy and knew my body needed rest.

Saturday I decided not to do a long run. My group had 16 miles scheduled for Sunday but I was going to be running the 5K that the group I have been coaching was running. So instead of a long run I decided to run and cross train. I ran 2 miles to the gym. Then took a spinning class for an hour, followed by a PiYo (pilates and yoga) class for another hour. Then ran 2 miles home. I was definitely tired afterward but was happy I did it. The PiYo class was a lot of fun and very challenging.

Sunday I woke up pretty sore but once I got moving I felt better. I got to the race and talked to the runners and coaches. Everyone was very excited and nervous. My plan for the race was to run as fast as I could. I figured I could PR pretty easily (my previous PR being 27:36). I hadn't run a 5K in over a year and thought I could definitely get under 27:00.

Having run a lot of half marathons or 15Ks lately this race went by so quick. I felt a little bit snobbish thinking, well it's only 3 miles. Though I know many of the other runners in the group were thinking, ugh 3 miles!

The race was good. Pretty flat and it was on a college campus so there were students cheering and holding signs. It was nice. I pushed myself and finished in 25:41! I was really excited and definitely beat what I thought I would do.

After I finished I grabbed a jacket and went to the finish to cheer everyone else on. All the runners did great and they were so excited and thankful to have the group. Many of them talked about coming back in the spring for another round.

I really enjoyed coaching. It was a rewarding experience and I learned a lot. I definitely think I'll be back in the spring to help again.

No comments:

Post a Comment