Thursday, September 3, 2009

TiaRT - Getting Motivated

This weeks question is from Lindsay at Chasing the Kenyans:

Whether training for a specific race or just running for the fun of it, we all experience the ups and downs of running. What do you do to get yourself motivated to run when it feels like it's the last thing you want to do?

I usually have motivation issues after a big race. I need and want to take some rest time but that rest makes me lose my motivation. Also after a big race I usually don't have another big race scheduled yet so I feel like I can relax and rest more than I need to. 

I have two tricks to keeping myself motivated, maybe not every single day but definitely for the long haul...

My first trick is to start planning the next big race and goal as soon as the last big race is over. Doing this helps me stay motivated because I am always training for something. It doesn't have to be a PR or a marathon, just some goal or race that I am interested in and will keep me wanting to run and stay in shape. After my first marathon in May and decided I didn't want to do another marathon in the Fall but that I would try for a PR in the half marathon.

My second trick is having running friends and a running group to keep you accountable. I am much more motivated to get out and go for a run when I'm meeting up with friends. It's easy to convince yourself not to go for a run but when you are meeting people it's hard to say you aren't going to make it. I have been using this trick a lot lately. I have a really hard time getting motivated when it's hot out. I hate running in the heat. I've had hard hill runs, track workouts, and even easy runs with friends the past couple weeks and it has made running much easier. 

Obviously these tricks don't work everyday. There will always be days when I just can't get myself out of the door but having something to train for and running with friends help make those days happen less often. 

4 comments:

  1. The running groups are such a big factor, aren't they? I've been hitting the track for group workouts because they are so much fun - no way would I get out to the track week by week if I had to go by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love planning ahead!! this definitely helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tips and thanks for participating! planning a new schedule/for a new race is definitely motivating for me too - the problem is i'm stuck in the middle of training for my next marathon and running low on mojo! but, when i'm in between races, i love speculating about my next plan :) i also really need to find a group/person to run with to help give me an extra push. thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good tips! I need a race planned at all times - usually more than one even!

    ReplyDelete